Photo: is proud to present democraSEE - a new photography award and mentorship platform. democraSEE aims to develop and show important contemporary photography stories and content that deal with social and political issues and imaginaries from the Southern African region . It wants to create a space to acknowledge photographers and photography’s role and position in relation to the world. Furthermore, it intends to support the growth of visual languages in photography.
The recipient of the award will receive:
- A R40,000 (South African Rand) grant towards the development of an existing or making of a new body of work
- Mentoring support from an appointed mentor/curator (appointed in consultation with the photographer)
- Critique sessions with appointed subject and practice experts
- Ongoing support and mentorship from Photo:
- Online publication of the completed work on the democraSEE.photography website
Photographers from Southern Africa, including:
Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Comoros, DRC, Lesotho. Madagascar, Malawi. Mauritius. Mozambique, Namibia. Rwanda. Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe can enter the awards.
The selection panel is appointed per award. It consists of a group of leading regional and international experts – curators, photographers, gallerists, journalists, critics or social scientists – who will consider applications.
The first call/submission deadline is 10 October 2017.
Join us for the launch at the Joburg Art Fair on
Sat 9 Sep 2017, 12h00
Sandton Convention Centre
democraSEE is a project of Photo:, supported by the Department of Arts and Culture in South Africa as well as the National Arts Council in South Africa and the Photography Education Trust.
Posted 05 Sep 2017