Photo: is proud to announce the shortlisted candidates for democraSEE 2
The recipient of democraSEE 2 will be announced at the Investec Cape Town Art Fair on Saturday 17 Feb 2018, after 13h00, Cape Town, South Africa.
For more information about the shortlisted candidates, please see below. Shortlist:
The selection panel for democraSEE 2 consisted of leading regional and international experts: Paula Nascimento, Jo Ractliffe, Malala Andrialavidrazana, Sarita Lydia Mamseri and John Fleetwood.
For more information about the selection panel, please click here .
The call for democraSEE 3 is now open and the deadline for submission is 03 May 2018.
democraSEE - a new photography award and mentorship platform. democraSEE aims to develop and show important contemporary photography stories and content that deal with social and political issues and imaginaries from the Southern African region. It wants to create a space to acknowledge photographers and photography’s role and position in relation to the world. Furthermore, it intends to support the growth of visual languages in photography.
The recipient of the award will receive:
- A R40,000 (South African Rand) grant towards the development of an existing or making of a new body of work
- Mentoring support from an appointed mentor/curator (appointed in consultation with the photographer)
- Critique sessions with appointed subject and practice experts
- Ongoing support and mentorship from Photo:
- Online publication of the completed work on the democraSEE.photography website
Click here for the website. www.democraSEE.photography
democraSEE is a project of Photo:, supported by the Department of Arts and Culture in South Africa as well as the National Arts Council in South Africa and the Photography Education Trust.
For more information, please contact Amy Daniels