Director John Fleetwood
John Fleetwood is the director of Photo:. He was born and lives in Johannesburg.
Fleetwood is a photography curator and educator.
Fleetwood recently curated ‘Of traps and tropes’ as part of Kerkennah International Photography Festival (Tunisia, 2018) and ‘Five Photographers: A tribute to David Goldblatt’ (Johannesburg, 2018). He curated ‘Cities and Memory’as part of the Photo Biennale in Denmark (2016).
He co-curated ‘Against Time’ an exhibition of emerging photographers (Bamako Encounters, 2015). He co-commissioned ‘A Return to Elsewhere’, a collaborative photography project on communities and dis/connect, for the Brighton Photo Biennial 2014 and the Joburg Photo Umbrella 2014. He was the co-curator for ‘Transition’ - a collaboration between South African and French photographers (Johannesburg, 2012 & Rencontres d’Arles, 2013).
In 2017, Fleetwood was guest editor for Aperture’s Platform Africa edition.
Fleetwood works closely with the Centres of Learning for Photography in Africa and other institutions of learning and mentorship.
From 2002-2015 Fleetwood was the Head of the Market Photo Workshop, a school, gallery and project space.
Fleetwood acts in various capacities in the following projects:
• Nominator, Prix Pictet Award, since 2016 http://www.prixpictet.com
• Nominator, Paul Huf Award, since 2017 https://www.foam.org/talent/foam-paul-huf-award
• Nominator, Joop Swart Masterclass, World Press Awards, since 2009 http://www.worldpressphoto.org/academy/joop-swart-masterclass
• Jury member for the CAP Prize, International Prize for Contemporary African Photography, since 2014 https://www.capprize.com
• Jury member, Pride Photo Award, 2016 http://www.pridephotoaward.org/en/
• Judge for The Fence 2018, A travelling photography exhibition.